Objective: Develop quantum coherent interfaces that allow the transfer of information between superconducting qubits, propagating light fields, and trapped ion qubits, to enable the development of quantum networks and distributed quantum information processors.
Approach: Create a synthetic interaction between superconducting qubits and light fields and between trapped ion qubits and light fields by coupling qubits to mechanical oscillators that are highly compliant or piezoelectric.
Investigators: Konrad Lehnert, Cindy Regal (Colorado), Robert Schoelkopf, Liang Jiang (Yale), Christopher Monroe (Maryland), Oskar Painter (Caltech)
- "Holonomic Quantum Control with Continuous Variable Systems," Victor V. Albert, Chi Shu, Stefan Krastanov, Chao Shen, Ren-Bao Liu, Zhen-Biao Yang, Robert J. Schoelkopf, Mazyar Mirrahimi, Michel H. Devoret, and Liang Jiang, Phys. Rev. Lett. 116, 140502 (2016).
- "New Class of Quantum Error-Correcting Codes for a Bosonic Mode," Marios H. Michael, Matti Silveri, R. T. Brierley, Victor V. Albert, Juha Salmilehto, Liang Jiang, and S. M. Girvin, Phys. Rev. X 6, 031006 (2016).
- "Phonon-induced spin squeezing based on geometric phase," Yan-Lei Zhang, Chang-Ling Zou, Xu-Bo Zou, Liang Jiang, and Guang-Can Guo, Phys. Rev. A 92, 013825 (2015).
- "Cavity State Manipulation Using Photon-Number Selective Phase Gates," R. W. Heeres, B. Vlastakis, E. Holland, S. Krastanov, V. V. Albert, L. Frunzio, L. Jiang and R. J. Schoelkopf, Phys. Rev. Lett. 115, 137002 (2015).
- "Connecting microwave and optical frequencies with a vibrational degree of freedom," R. W. Andrews, R. W. Peterson, T. P. Purdy, K. Cicak, R. W. Simmonds, C. A. Regal, and K. W. Lehnert, Laser Resonators, Microresonators, and Beam Control XVII, Proc. of SPIE, 9343 934309 (2015).
- "Universal control of an oscillator with dispersive coupling to a qubit," S. Krastanov, V. V. Albert, C. Shen, C.-L. Zou, R. W. Heeres, B. Vlastakis, R. J. Schoelkopf and L. Jiang, Phys. Rev. A 92, 040303 (2015).
- "Phonon-induced spin squeezing based on geometric phase," Y.-L. Zhang, C.-L. Zou, X.-B. Zou, L. Jiang and G.-C. Guo, Phys. Rev. A 92 (1), 013825 (2015).
- "Modeling of On-Chip Optical Nonreciprocity with an Active Microcavity," J. Wen, X. Jiang, M. Zhang, L. Jiang, S. Hua, H. Wu, C. Yang and M. Xiao, Photonics 2 (2), 498-508 (2015).
- "Pulsed Excitation Dynamics of an Optomechanical Crystal Resonator near Its Quantum Ground State of Motion" S. M. Meenehan, J. D. Cohen, G. S. MacCabe, F. Marsili, M. D. Shaw, and O. Painter, Phys. Rev. X 5, 041002 (2015).
- "Quantum-enabled temporal and spectral mode conversion of microwave signals," R. W. Andrews, A. P. Reed, K. Cicak, J. D. Teufel, and K. W. Lehnert, Nature Comm. 6, 10021 (2015).
- "Laser Cooling of Micromechanical Membrane to the Quantum Backaction Limit," R. W. Peterson, T. P. Purdy, N. S. Kampel, R. W. Andrews, K. W. Lehnert, and C. A. Regal, Phys. Rev. Lett. 116, 063601 (2015).